For buildings of the same name in other Tropico games, see Mine.
Mines are raw resource buildings in Tropico 5. They're used to extract valuable minerals and ores from veins in the earth. However, each vein has a limited amount of ore inside it; once all the ore is mined out, it becomes necessary to find another or begin importing the material.
Requirements: Must be constructed over mining deposits.
Building Type: Raw Resources
Recommended Manager - Magnate
Era Unlocked - Colonial Era
Research Required - The Shovel
Modernize to Automated Mine - $6,975
- Chemical Extractor: For $3,000, a bauxite mine can be made to use hazardous chemicals to extract bauxite, increasing its effectiveness by 30 but decreasing the mine's job quality by 10.
- Coal Preparation Plant: For $2,800, a coal mine can build a facility to wash and sort coal before its transported, increasing the number of workers by 3 and the mine's effectiveness by 30.
- Dangerous Waste Disposal: For $2,750, a uranium mine can afford to properly dispose of radioactive waste created in the mining process, reducing the pollution they cause to a level comparable to other types of mines.
- Heavy Crusher: For $2,500, an iron mine can be equipped with machinery to grind apart large rocks, increasing its effectiveness by 30 but decreasing the mine's job quality by 10.
- Water Cannons: For $3,200, a gold mine can be equipped with high-pressure water jets to strip sediment away into a slurry, increasing its effectiveness by 20 but increasing the mine's pollution by 30%.