Intellectuals strive for education, social progress, and political integrity. They place a high value on liberty and are the primary critics of leaders who disrupt democratic processes.
How you treat your island's Intellectuals affects your relations with the EU.
- Visitors to theaters performing thought-provoking tragedies have a chance of becoming Intellectuals.
- Visitors to art museums displaying abstract art have a chance of becoming Intellectuals.
- If the nuclear shelter is set to save the smartest citizens in the event of a disaster, more people will be persuaded to become Intellectuals.
- Though unconfirmed, it's possible that students who are given general educations in high school or college might become Intellectuals when they graduate.
- Burning "offensive" literature on the island will instantly cause half the Intellectuals to drop their support of the faction and will halve the chance of any future citizens joining the faction.
- The Biblical Scholar, Leftist Author, Naturalist, and Professor backgrounds.
- The Velvet Revolution rise to power.
- The Activist and Incorruptible traits.
- High schools and colleges.
- Non-biased education (general schools).
- Honest elections.
- The Same-Sex Marriages edict.
- Intellectuals in Tropico 3 want a high school and college built as major demands and high liberty (above 60%), the Literacy Program edict issued, a radio station set to the Radio Free Tropico work mode, and a TV station set to the Learning with Larry work mode as minor demands.
- The Farmer and Fortunate Son backgrounds.
- The Bought the Election rise to power.
- The Compulsive Liar trait.
- The Ideology Book, Contraception Ban, Building Permit, and Silence the Rebels edicts.
- Biased education (military or parochial schools).
- Cancelled elections and voter fraud.
Student Protests - Angered by a conservative and/or corrupt government, politically-charged high school and college students will walk out on classes to take part in protests. While these protests are happening, no students will gain experience or graduate into educated workers.
It's possible for a presidente to have risen to power by leading a student protest, boosting their relationship with the Intellectuals and the US while giving Tropicans hope for both liberty and democracy, but hurting the island's relations with China.
- Ultimately, intellectuals care about education and democracy while religious citizens care about access to religious services. Because these two goals don't conflict, citizens can support both factions at the same time despite the rivalry between them.
|Tropico 4 Factions|
|Capitalists • Communists • Intellectuals • Religious • Militarists • Environmentalists • Nationalists • Loyalists|