Factory Farms are raw resource buildings in Tropico 5. They produce meat, milk and wool like ranches, but require corn as fodder for the livestock instead of a proper location making it an easy way for food production and possibly milk for Creamery if one owns The Big Cheese DLC. They can be directly upgraded from Ranches. Like Ranches, they have option to change livestock type, at a cost of $320 and the loss of previous upgrades.
The downside is the high cost of the building itself. Production (and budget) are both doubled, with no additional workers required. With upgrades and good manager choice it is worthwhile upgrading all obsolete ranches.
Environmentalists don't approve of factory farms and may request them being demolished. Surrounding landscaping can help mitigate this, however.
Requirements: Corn for production.
Building Type: Raw Resources
- Union Leader for Pigs factory after upgrade
- Foreman for Llamas factory after upgrade
- Altruist, Green Thumb or Supervisor
Era Unlocked - Cold War
Research Required - None
- Veterinary Vaccination: For $500 Effectiveness is increased by 10, but Budget is increased by 10%
- Manure Fertilizer: For $1,200 you can increase Effectiveness of every nearby Plantation and Hydroponic Farm by 10 (max 20).
- Forage Pens: For $1,000 you can increase Effectiveness of every nearby Plantation and Hydroponic Farm by 10 (max 100).
- Shaving Pens: For $800 Job Quality is increased by 10.
- Overfeeding: For $1,600 Effectiveness is increased by 20, but Job Quality is decreased by 10.