Just as the US and USSR are heavily tied to the Capitalists and Communists respectively, the EU is the bastion of Intellectuals and Environmentalists. Though the region can come across as condescending, the EU is the main giver of aid money when a disaster befalls the island.
While the island can get immigrants from both the US and USSR in Tropico 3, immigrants in Tropico 4 normally only originate from South America, other Caribbean countries, or countries within the EU. It's possible to get immigrants from China too, but only by special request.
Because the EU doesn't sell anything, it can't place Tropico under embargo. Instead, having bad relations with the region will reverse the effects of having good relations (i.e. hiring foreign experts costs more and the island gets less money after disasters).
- Fine Jewelry
- The Diplomatic, Pompous, and Well-Travelled traits.
- +15 - Good relations with the Environmentalists.
- +15 - Good relations with the Intellectuals.
- +15 - High Liberty (Liberty Happiness over 60)
- +15 - Low Pollution (Environmental happiness over 60)
- 'Neutral' foreign policies
- +10 - having favored trade partner status (export/import the most with them).
- The Paranoid trait.
- -15 - Bad relations with the Environmentalists.
- -15 - Bad relations with the Intellectuals.
- -30 - Nuclear Programs
Rewards for Good RelationsEdit
- Extra disaster aid money
- Reduced cost for hiring foreign experts
- foreign experts cost 50% their usual price.
Penalties for Bad relations Edit
- Reduced Disaster aid money
- Increased costs for hiring foreign experts
- foreign experts cost 50% more their usual price.
- It's interesting to note that the European Union wasn't officially formed until 1993, well after the starting date of Tropico 4 games. Before this year, the European Coal and Steel Community and the European Economic Community were in power.