For buildings of the same name in other Tropico games, see College.
Colleges are education buildings in Tropico 5. College graduates are needed to run the most advanced parts of the island, including the military, the media, the hospitals, the financial system, and most kinds of power plants. The more effective a college is, the faster its students graduate.
Effectiveness increases the rate at which citizens graduate college. The more effective a college is, the faster its students graduate: a college at +100 effectiveness equates a 6-year Postgraduate bachelor's degree program.
- Effectiveness increases graduation speed by ~4.73% per 1% above +100 effectiveness, increasing exponentially so that at +200 effectiveness, students take only 3 years time to completed their postgraduate degree. Conversely, a poorly staffed High School reduces time to graduation by a factor of x2-to-x4.
- The graduation time is reduced to 0.955^Effectiveness = 0.5^(Effectiveness/15).
- The game uses full precision when calculating the time to graduation, rounding the results to the nearest month.
- With Interactive Education, Literacy Program, Free Market, and Mentors, it possible for students to graduate on time with a postgraduate degree to less then 2 years!
- Interactive Education Modernization: (Modern Times) For $4,500, the college can be upgraded to use more effective, hands-on teaching methods, increasing the building's effectiveness by 50.
- Research Projects: For $2,000, the college can be made into a research institute, generating research points as well as educating citizens.